Whether we like it or not, back to school time is here already. When you are out shopping for dorm room supplies, decor, snacks, and other back-to-campus items, take a moment to discuss safety tips with your child before hugs and goodbyes.
Electrical safety tips:
• When shopping for items that run on electricity, look for a safety endorsement label, such as UL (Underwriters Laboratories).
• Do not put a cell phone under a pillow or place it on or under bedding. It could overheat or catch fire.
• In the dorm or apartment, make sure outlets near water sources are equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). If they are not, contact the resident assistant, campus housing staff or landlord. (Look for a test and reset button on the face of the outlet.)
• Use power strips with an over-current protector that will shut off power if too much current is drawn.
• Avoid overloading extension cords, power strips or outlets.
• Do not hang decorative lights with nails; always use plastic hooks.
• Do not run electrical cords across traffic paths or under rugs.
To learn more about electrical safety tips, go to SafeElectricity.org